Home pools and hot tubs have lots of risks. Keep your children and other youngsters safe this summer around the pool or hot tub.
Follow these 10 tips for pool & hot tub safety.
- If a child is missing, look in the pool area first.
- In the home, install higher door latches or exit alarms on doors and windows leading to the pool area (54” or greater).
- A non-climbable pool safety fence should completely surround the pool, be at least four feet tall and include a self-closing, self-latching gate with child-resistant latches.
- Have a professional inspect your pool to ensure safety equipment is installed correctly, pool lights should be low voltage to eliminate the risk of electrocution and drain covers are safe.
- Remind children they must ask permission to use the pool and never be in the pool without an adult present.
- Mark the safe areas around the pool where children are allowed to practice diving. Mark the depth of the pool at regular intervals.
- Always have a life ring or hook near the pool in a visible place.
- Maintain constant adult supervision while children are in the pool using the Water Watcher system.
- Learn CPR and First Aid skills. Have a phone at poolside for emergencies.
- Teach children water rescue and swimming skills but know these do not take the place of active adult supervision.
Click here for more Pool Safety Tips.